Should the term "English Whisky" be protected in the same way Scotch is protected?

Simple enough question! And if the answer is yes - what defines an English Whisky?

I guess the devil lies in the detail - how does one define English? I’m not being a provocateur (not entirely!) but other products seeking geo denomination here have struggled.
This is when it gets interesting - is one using English water - technically yes but then are we getting into “terroir” and regionality……
Discuss!

Exactly, what makes it ‘English whisky’. I would argue the English climate is warmer than Scotland and less wet, so a proportion of the character of an English whisky will be attributable the that - the mild climate.

Is it easy enough to say it’s English Whisky if it’s been matured exclusively in England …or is that too simple.
As there are less restrictions in England compared to Scotland - would we be happy to have English Whisky matured in cider casks ?
Would this still qualify as English Whisky ? (I hope it would :grinning:).

1 Like

Be great to see relaxed restrictions that allow creativity in English Whisky (like cider casks!)

Be nice to see the use of English grains and English water, distilled and bottled in England.This would help create jobs and support the farming industry and the English Whisky industry grows.

I like that discussions around terrior of grains are starting to be had.

I believe there are talks ongoing within the English Distillers (English Whisky Guild) to get a set of rules drawn up. As I understand it they are keen to avoid a ‘Japan’ kind of scenario, and what to protect the ‘English’ category.

I think some basic laws would be ideal. Things like must be distilled, aged and bottles in England.
But I like freedom afforded to distilleries outside of the SWA clutches so I would be unhappy to see other laws brought in to control how it was distilled, or what casks can be used etc